Blake-Nuttall Fund Grants:
The Nuttall Ornithological Club is soliciting proposals for bird-related projects to be conducted in 2017–2018 under the direction of organizations meeting certain qualifications (see below). Selected projects are supported by grants from the Club's Blake-Nuttall Fund.
The Fund supports ornithological research, conservation, and education, with particular emphasis on the birds of New England and the Northeast.
The receipt deadline for applications is 1 September 2017. Awards will be announced by 30 September 2017 and funds will be distributed shortly thereafter.
1. Applying organizations must be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and must not be private foundations under section 509(a). Applications from individuals cannot be considered.
2. Send an electronic copy of the proposal to the Blake-Nuttall Fund Committee Chair in the following format:
a. Title page: project title and brief abstract; name, address and phone number; proposed starting and completion dates; total amount requested from the Blake-Nuttall Fund.
b. Narrative of up to 5 pages including a) objectives, b) brief review of what is already known or has already been done, c) project methods, d) value of the project to ornithology, e) project timetable, including a submission date for the final report, f) specific address to which a check should be mailed if the project is funded, g) detailed budget, including funds applied for or expected from other sources.
c. Brief statement of investigator qualifications and a resume.
d. Documentary evidence of section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
3. Progress reports on work funded in whole or in part by Blake-Nuttall Fund awards in the past must have been received by the Blake-Nuttall Fund Committee Chair before new applications can be considered. Progress reports must indicate project name, dates, principal investigator, results narrative, and brief statement of funds expended. An electronic copy of the progress report may be submitted with a new application, but must be a separate document, not embedded in a new proposal.
4. Grants are awarded on an annual basis from total available funds. The total available money varies annually, but rarely is below $15,000 per year. Proposals may request up to that entire amount. Applications for projects expected to last more than one year are considered, but no commitment beyond the funds available in the present year is made.
Blake-Nuttall Fund Criteria
1. Proposals are reviewed by the Blake-Nuttall Fund Committee and selected for awards based on the following merits:
a. Contribution to the goals of the Nuttall Ornithological Club.
b. Conservation, management, or educational significance.
c. Scientific merit.
e. Qualifications of investigator(s).
2. Typically, Blake-Nuttall funds along with other Club funds (when available) are distributed in grants ranging from $1000 to $5000.
3. Grant payments are made directly to the 501(c)(3) organizations. Given the modest amounts of Blake-Nuttall Fund grants, it is the policy of the Blake-Nuttall Fund not to support institutional overhead. Nuttall Ornithological Club retains no authority over use of paid grant funds. However, the Nuttall Ornithological Club requires that recipients prepare and submit a progress report on their work and use of grant money by 1 September of the year after the award is made.
4. The report from each project will be posted on the Nuttall Ornithological Club website. See http://www.nuttallclub.org/Blake/blake.projects.htm. Please be sure to submit your project report in a format that can be posted electronically (e.g. pdf, PowerPoint, Word, txt, or rtf.) If you do not wish to have your project report posted publicly, state that explicitly to the Blake- Nuttall Fund Committee at the time of submission of the report, explain the reason for your objection to publication and the extent to which the objection will become moot after the passage of time (if the PI is planning to publish, for example).
4. Any publication resulting, in whole or in part, from funding supplied from the Blake-Nuttall Fund must acknowledge the support of the Fund. A reprint of any such publications must be sent to the Chair of the Blake-Nuttall Fund Committee (Vice President of the Nuttall Ornithological Club).
6. The following text must be included, with appropriate signature, in the body of the grant application:
Address grant proposals to: